Just one of those nuggets of wisdom..

/ Sunday, July 22, 2012 /




worth keeping. So I came across these words below by Margaret Atwood in Lady Oracle, the second novel that I recently read from her. I've always assumed that her novels were the historical romance fiction types and I've actually decided to veer away from the aforementioned genre right after college. Also, I wanted to read more non-fiction this year. I played literary snob every time her works would pop out during my book scavenging hunts over Booksale. The snob is now a huge fangirl when I decided to give The Handmaid's Tale a chance last summer. 


"In my opinion, most women made one basic mistake: they expected their husbands to understand them. They spent much precious time explaining themselves, serving up their emotions and reactions, their love, anger and sensitivities, their demands and inadequacies, as if the mere relating of these things would get results."

"The other wives, too, wanted their husbands to live up to their own fantasy lives, which except for the costumes weren't that different from my own. They didn't put it in quite these terms, but I could tell from their expectations.They wanted their men to be strong, lustful, passionate and exciting, with hardrapacious mouths, but also tender and worshipful. They wanted men in mysterious cloaks who would rescue them from balconies, but they also wanted meaningful in-depth relationships and total openness. (The Scarlet Pimpernel, I would tell them silently, does not have time for meaningful in-depth relationships.) They wanted multiple orgasms, they wanted the earth to move, but they also wanted help with the dishes."

"There were two kinds of love, I told myself; Arthur was terrific for one kind, but why demand all things of one man? I'd given up expecting him to be a cloaked, sinuous and faintly menacing stranger. He couldn't be that: I lived with him, and cloaked strangers didn't leave their socks on the floor or stick their fingers in their ears or gargle in the mornings to kill germs. I kept Arthur in our apartment and the strangers in their castles and mansions, where they belonged. I felt this was quite adult of me, and it certainly allowed me to be more outwardly serene than the wives of Arthur's friends."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I usually say, in the end, okay, it’s love and it’s work — what else could there possibly be? -- Maira Kalman

Followers

Copyright 2010 - 2016. Powered by Blogger.
 
Copyright © 2010 Neverwhere Is Here, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger