Just a List of Books Which Brought Me Countless Bookgasms Last Year

/ Saturday, January 11, 2014 /

Someone’s supposed to write something about the joys of working remotely as of the moment but what the heck, my brain cells are dancing to the tune of you-should-write-about-books song, so here I am listing the books which brought the book slut in me to countless oohs and aahs the whole year ‘round.
1. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)

Okay, I know I am already late to The Kite Runner tea party as this book was published a decade ago. I had an i-am-so-feeling-the-character solo sob fest when I read the novel, particularly around that part when Sohrab and his father had to flee Afghanistan for America. Brilliant prose, I should say.
2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Annie Barrows and Mary Ann Shaffer)
This is the first epistolary novel that I thoroughly enjoyed from cover to cover. And who wouldn’t be smitten with Dawsey Adams?!
3. The View from Castle Rock (Alice Munro)
If I can just go back to my preschool days, I would like to proudly announce in class that I’d love to be Alice Munro when I grow up. This woman, who also recently won this year’s Pulitzer prize for literature, is a tour de force when it comes to capturing every detail in her short stories. And she does it effortlessly, no evidence of trying really hard at all in crafting such intricate parts. I particularly like Hired Girl, The View from Castle Rock, and Lying Under the Apple Tree in the collection. Also, as a piece of trivia, I read the entire collection in one sitting during typhoon Yolanda.
4. Interpreter of Maladies, Unaccustomed Earth, The Namesake (Jhumpa Lahiri)
All of which are by the author whom I consider to be a more modern version of Alice Munro. Why oh why Miss Lahiri do you have to write such stories which make me pause for a while and brood over life (what else should you think I’ll mull over for long time? the well-being of our cats maybe?)
5. Cat’s Eye (Margaret Atwood)
Did you know that Margaret Atwood and Alice Munro are actually BFFs? Here’s an adorable selfie of them together! If I consider Munro as a tour de force in contemporary literature, I’d like to say that Atwood is a literary rockstar (female version of course because Gaiman is already The Literary Rockstar himself in my book). The Handmaid’s Tale was my first taste of Atwood’s awesome slash you-go-girl storytelling style but the Cat’s Eye really sealed the rockstar deal for me.
Runners-Up:
How to Climb Mt. Blanc in a Skirt (Mick Conefrey)
The Martian Chronicles (Ray Bradbury)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz)
The Ocean at the End of the Lane (Neil Gaiman)
A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage (Elizabeth Gilbert) - no one’s getting married soon but I found myself nodding in agreement a dozen times while reading Gilbert's take on relationships and commitment.
How about you? Which books had you oooh-ing and aaah-ing last 2013? Share your list too because bookgasms are more intense when shared between two (or three!) book sluts! :)


2 comments:

{ Kikit } on: January 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM said...

IQ84. Although murag tulo ra ka books akong nabasa last year. :D

{ Kai } on: January 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM said...

wow, kit. nakabasa naka sa iQ84?! and murag grabe man to kabaga nga book :) here's to more books to finger this year, then? :)

Post a Comment

I usually say, in the end, okay, it’s love and it’s work — what else could there possibly be? -- Maira Kalman

Followers

Copyright 2010 - 2016. Powered by Blogger.
 
Copyright © 2010 Neverwhere Is Here, All rights reserved
Design by DZignine. Powered by Blogger